Thursday, 12 April 2012

Painting phase 1- MaK scratch-build 5

Onto the painting stage! Painting something this big is a completely new experience for me, but I knew I'd need a spray gun. I asked a friend if I could borrow his, and the answer was yes. Unfortunately, it's a Games Workshop spray gun, which is a pile of cack. I could barely get it working at all, though admittedly it was OK for the brief periods when it was working. So most of the time I was using a 3/4" paintbrush, so the coverage is pretty rough.
First was a Chaos Black undercoat, for which the spray gun WAS working for most of the time.
After that was some paint mix I made years ago and annoyingly didn't make a recipe. I'm pretty certain it involved Camo Green & Snakebite Leather. Anyway, I mixed it 1:1 with water and started painting with the large paintbrush at this point. After that dried, I went over the areas with poor coverage again with just the paint.
Then I went over with another 1:1 mix of Kommando Khaki. This coat's pretty patchy, I reckon I'm going to have to do another one, but it is nice as weathering. What a shame I'm not on that stage yet...

Camo pattern (kinda) and detailing soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment