Wednesday 4 April 2012

Maschinen Kreiger Scratch-build

Hello internet!
I've set up this blog mainly to document me making my first scratch-build- a Maschinen Kreiger hover tank. Maschinen Kreiger, or SF3D, is a universe created by Kow Yokoyama and has some lovely mixed-media kits,   mostly in 1/20 or 1/35 scale.
However, said kits, coming from Japan and sometimes being made by small garage companies, are pretty hard to track down, and pretty expensive when you find them. Being a poor student I can't afford such luxuries and decided to scratch-build something MaKish. The initial idea came from another scratch build, by Mark Stevens, the person whose models first got me into MaK. Specifically, his Haka, which used car wing mirrors as a main part of the build. This got me thinking I could use wing mirrors for the base of a Nutrocker/ Nutcracker. After paying much more attention to wing mirrors than usual for a couple of days, I decided this wouldn't work, not without far more skills than I possess. Instead, after hunting around for a bit, I found a tupperware box which would fit the bill.
I was concerned it might have been a bit too large for the 1/35 scale I was roughly aiming for, but after comparing it to a Tau XV-8, which is about the same size as a 1/35 figure, I realised it was actually about right.

The plan was to build up a more curved shape on the top of the hull, in a style similar to the Nutrocker, by using polyfilla on top of layered card, and to use an upturned rice pudding pot for the turret. The layering of the card is imperfect, but hopefully after the polyfilla goes on top that should change. The card was glued together with PVA glue and after sanding down the box with coarse sandpaper and being weighted down, PVA worked to stick the card to the box too.

More details to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment